Monday 25 November 2013

Goodbye Wonderland

The flights home all went well.  I might have hit someone in the eye with catapulted coffee-stir-stick....sorry random Cyclops stranger.  I have been home for a few days.  The snow is blanketing the world outside.  I don't normally mind the cold, but I have to adjust fast now for my own survival in this Canadian wasteland.  I will greatly miss the African sun. 

I have jet lag.  My bedtime is 3 pm and I wake up around 1 am, by 5 am I am fully awake and go have brunch.  Yesterday I went to bed at 7 and woke up at 5 AGAIN. I am so tired and my body is confused. This results in migraines that are so strong they make me nauseous.  But I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I am so blessed to have been able to go on this trip.  My life has been so touched.  

 I have to go back to reality now, face the world at home.  When I got back familiarity was in everything though something glossed the world that I call home.  Everything looks so small now.  What was once my everything is now only a fraction.

It was magical being reunited with my family and friends.  I have missed those hugs and smiles dearly.  

My Green Backpack is in the closet once again, waiting for another adventure.  As I settle into the routine of home I always hold a spot in myself for travel, for the unknown, for adventure.  Who knows where the Green Backpack will go next, time will tell.  So to that moment where I opened the window of the plane only to set my eyes on Africa, on wonderland, I hold this promise.  I will return, one day, somehow.  Have it be in another life or another time.  I. Will. Return.


To Wonderland.
To Travel.
And
To the next Adventure
For my Green Backpack
Goodbye...For Now.

-Z

2 comments:

  1. I've just finished reading your journey and what a story! I really think you should write a book about it. You already have a nice title for it "the green backpack". I'm sure it' going to be a great seller! You have a way with words that says it all... I'm looking forward to a book if you choose to go forward with this adventure! From Celine Savoie from N.B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your comment! (I love NB) I am planning on writing a book...eventually. I have a few more trips that have presented themselves which are still in the dreaming stage, and I would like to add those stories to the book as well, but there will be a book one day....I hope that holds the stories that have accumulated throughout my travels. I will most likely be thowing myself into another adventure in the Spring, that will be making itself onto the blog as well. -Z

    ReplyDelete